Friday, October 23, 2009

My adventures in switching from Windows to Ubuntu Part 1

So this weekend I decided I'd finally switch over to Ubuntu for most daily computing tasks and I'll tell you how that's been :)

Thursday night I stuck the CD in and installed Ubuntu 8.04 because it was LTS. Well bad choice because that edition is now over a year old and my monitor and graphics card are... less than a year old, so I was running 800x600 resolution the entire time. Friday afternoon I just went in and installed 9.04 instead since that's the newest currently available. Instantly, 9.04 already had my graphics card and monitor recognized so I could run 1600x900 immediately, and I installed my graphics card drivers in a breeze.

Some things to note, Ubuntu isn't like Windows at all (obvious) but in some ways is better. I really like Windows a lot because I know where everything is at and I have my own little shortcuts set up for optimum speed in my daily computing. There are some minor cracks in my little system though, I run into out-of-date software constantly, and every once in a while there's that darn security issue. I noticed instantly that updating software with Ubuntu is very easy. I didn't even have to open Firefox to download my graphics card drivers! Well I had to open firefox to find out HOW to do it without opening firefox but now I'll be able to update those drivers with a click of a button, as with all the other software I installed.

Next weekend, hopefully I'll be able to get my sound working. I know I should probably (definitely) get a legit sound card but with Ubuntu, you make work what you have with as little money as possible :D

No comments:

Post a Comment