Sunday, February 20, 2011

A beginner's philosophy in fixing problems in Linux

I am quite sorry I haven't posted in two weeks, but that probably doesn't matter since no one reads this. I've been a little bit preoccupied by school, although this weekend I was actually more occupied by my car. I did my first oil change and it took a few hours because I didn't know how to do it! Next up is a brake job.

Anyways, I was having some problems with CEGUI... and I fixed them. Do you want to know how? I upgraded to a newer version of OGRE and CEGUI... in the process I also reinstalled, but I don't truly know if it was the upgrade or the re-installation that fixed the problem. This reminds me of my first days in linux though. Back before Ubuntu 10.04 was out, in late 2009, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 thinking it would be better for me as a beginner (seeing as it was the "LTS" which I understood to mean perfect). I don't exactly remember what problems I was having, but upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 fixed them. Later, (and again I don't remember the specifics), I had experienced some problem with my graphics card in Ubuntu; needless to say, updating the driver fixed it for me. I could probably name a hundred other times upgrading software has fixed a problem for me (or downgrading from 64-bit to 32-bit), but for the sake of your time I won't.

As far as stuff in OGRE has been progressing, I promised screenshots so here is one. Overall, my progress has been getting stuff to work and creating an overall framework. This screenshot is something I put together while testing animation, and some of the entities are left over from when I was running the application for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment